If you are craving Oreos, yet you need to hold off on the gluten, you might be wondering whether they are gluten-free or not.
Unfortunately, regular Oreos are not gluten-free, however they do have a gluten-free version available that is just as delicious to eat.
Having said that, there are many chocolate sandwich cookies available, meaning you have extra choice when it comes to Oreo style cookies. Even so, they are all different from one another.
In this article we shall take a look at 8 of the best gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies to help you decide which one to try. From the price to which store to get them from, and everything in between.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s take a look!
What Does It Mean To Be Gluten-Free?
Gluten is a type of protein which can be found within certain grains such as wheat. Those who cannot eat gluten tend to eat whole foods such as vegetables, fruit, eggs and meat.
They can also eat processed foods which are gluten-free too, but they must be clearly labeled. This is the likes of pasta and bread – just to name a few.
Because gluten is found within barley, wheat, triticale, and rye, as well as ingredients which have been derived from these grains, it means it can be difficult to have a fully gluten-free diet without only focusing on whole foods.
Fortunately, today food labels are required to label gluten ingredients to avoid any health issues to consumers.
Gluten itself is mostly handled well by people, however in some people it can trigger a response from the body.
For those who have an autoimmune type of response to gluten, for example celiac disease, it can actually cause damage to the small intestine.
Are Regular Oreos Gluten-Free?
Regular Oreos are definitely not gluten-free. However, they do make a tasty gluten-free version in both the regular chocolate sandwich cookies, and the double-stuf.
The regular Oreos use the enriched and unbleached white flour that is full of gluten. The gluten-free version uses whole oat flour and white rice flour.
However, other than that, the nutritional content of both cookies are exactly the same.
Mi-Del Gluten-Free Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Finding Mi-Del gluten-free sandwich cookies is like searching for gold, which can make it rather annoying if you enjoy them. However, once you do get a chance to taste them, you will find that they are worth searching high and low for.
Because the crust is quite crumbly, they are a perfect solution for when you need to create an oreo crust for a pie, or other baking ideas.
The brand’s gluten-free cookies are also peanut free too, making these safe to take to school.
If you do enjoy these, they have many other gluten-free cookies to choose from, such as ginger snaps and arrowroot animals.
- How much do they cost? Three dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? These cookies contain no dairy in the ingredients, as well as egg or meat products.
- How do they taste? The flavor isn’t as strong as other brands, and the crust is crumbly. However, it holds up well dipped in milk.
- Where to buy? Mi-Del
Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Joe-Joe’s
It was like people’s prayers had been answered when Trader Joe’s released a gluten-free version of their classic chocolate sandwich cookies.
Since the summer of 2022, they have been baking with a brand-new formula that somehow seems to be even better than the original recipe, despite not including any gluten.
The center of the cookie includes an indulgent and smooth tasting vanilla cream which is housed by two chocolate flavored cookies.
If you are interested in eating cookies that taste just like Oreos, these are the closest replicas you will find!
- How much do they cost? Three dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? No, the ingredients list includes eggs
- How do they taste? Really good, and very close to the ‘real’ thing.
- Where to buy? Trader Joe’s
Simple Truth Gluten-Free Chocolate Flavored Sandwich Cookies
Just like Trader Joe’s gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies, they are not vegan. If this is something that you look for, then skip to the Goodie Girl cookie product (spoiler alert: they are gluten-free).
A Kroger’s own brand, the Simple Truth gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies taste really good, and are a budget price to boot.
These cookies are also a great option for your kids to take to school too as they have no reason to be contaminated by peanuts, as it is made in a facility that doesn’t handle peanuts.
The overall flavor is really good too, yet it doesn’t quite make it up to the top of the Oreo replica scale as Trader Joe’s does.
- How much do they cost? Three to four dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? No, egg white powder is included in the ingredients list.
- How do they taste? Easy on the wallet and has a wonderful flavor.
- Where to buy? Vitacost, as well as different Kroger stores
Great Value Gluten-Free Chocolate Creme Sandwich Cookies
For those who are looking for a budget version of chocolate sandwich cookies that are also gluten-free, then you might want to try Walmart’s own brand, Great Value.
Coming in at under four dollars (online), these are great if you don’t want to spend too much.
However, they do lack in the flavor department, so it may be worth spending a few extra dollars for something a little more tastier.
Having said that, they do make great cookies to bake with. They break up really nicely and make a wonderful gluten-free pie crust.
- How much do they cost? Under four dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? The ingredients doesn’t suggest any dairy use, but it doesn’t say dairy-free on packaging
- How do they taste? The overall flavor as a single snack wasn’t great, however they are good to use in baking
- Where to buy? Walmart (own brand)
Goodie Girl Chocolate Creme Cookies
If you have never tried any of the Goodie Girl cookies before, then you are in for a real treat.
Goodie Girl makes some of the best gluten-free cookies out there, which includes a take on the Girl Scout Thin Mints which are delicious and gluten-free.
The older recipe for these chocolate sandwich cookies were not dairy free, but they have recently relaunched these wonderful cookies which are also now certified vegan.
Not only that, they taste just as good. They are also peanut-free and egg-free, making them a great cookie option for the kids to take to school.
- How much do they cost? Up to 8 dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? The older recipe contained dairy, however they have changed the recipe to be completely dairy free
- How do they taste? They taste great and are a good alternative to Oreo cookies. The other cookies in their gluten-free range are brilliant too!
- Where to buy? Amazon and Goodie Girl
Glutino Vanilla Creme Cookies
You may recognize Glutino from their other products such as animal crackers, cereal bars and pretzels. However, they also make gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies.
While you might find that these Glutino sandwich cookies are more difficult to get a hold of, they are available at places like Safeway, Amazon and Walmart.
They are also really tasty, and stand on their own two feet when compared to Oreo.
They are great to snack on, but will also make a tasty addition to any bake.
- How much do they cost? Four to six dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? They are not labeled as being suitable for vegans, however they do not contain dairy products.
- How do they taste? The vanilla creme inside the chocolate cookie is one of the best flavors on this list.
Known as K-Toos or KinniTOOS, these chocolate sandwich cookies are completely gluten-free and are certified vegan too. Not only that, they are lunchbox friendly too due to being nut-dairy-eggs- and soy-free.
K-Toos can be a difficult brand to find, but when you do you will be welcomed with a whole host of options. For example, they make gluten-free animal crackers, wafers, graham crackers, plus lots more.
K-Toos also have a few other flavor options when it comes to chocolate sandwich cookies. If you don’t want vanilla, you can choose birthday cake, chocolate, and cinni-bun, among so much more.
- How much do they cost? Four to six dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? Yes, these chocolate sandwich cookies are actually certified vegan.
- How do they taste? Great to snack on, but even better to bake with.
- Where to buy? Amazon, Safeway, Kinnikinnick, Whole Foods, and Vitacost
Lastly, we have Oreos. These gluten-free Oreos have been a real game changer for fans of the original Oreos.
While originally they never had a gluten-free version of this fan favorite, they decided to create one many years later (hooray!).
If you are a fan of the double-stuf Oreos, then you will be happy to know that they are also available as a gluten-free version too.
Plus, the gluten-free version tastes just as good as the non-GF cookies.
- How much do they cost? Three to five dollars
- Are they vegan-friendly? Not certified vegan, yet they do not contain any dairy products.
- How do they taste? They taste and have the same texture as regular Oreo cookies. It is very difficult to tell the difference between the two.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gluten-Free Oreos
Can You Make Gluten-Free Oreo Cookies At Home?
It is definitely possible to make your own gluten-free Oreo cookies at home, but there is a good chance that you will never be able to replicate the same cookie crunch of an Oreo.
This recipe comes very close to it, however the texture is closer to a graham cracker than an Oreo cookie. Even so, it is a nice simple way to make an Orea cookie yourself, or with the kids.
Are There Chocolate Sandwich Cookies That Are Gluten-Free?
Absolutely there are chocolate sandwich cookies that are gluten-free. Oreo has a gluten-free version of their own popular cookies, however there are some other good brands to choose from too.
For example, Simple Truth, Trader Joe’s Joe-Joe’s, and also K-Toos. Have a shop around and no doubt you will find some delicious gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies to eat.
Is It Easy To Use Gluten-Free Oreo Cookies On a Cake?
Yeah, you can use gluten-free Oreos to create a cake that is suitable for this dietary requirement. We really enjoy this gluten-free Oreo cake recipe.
If you are a lover of chocolate sandwich cookies, then you might be wondering if Oreos are gluten-free. While the regular version is not, they do have a line of gluten-free cookies. This includes the double-stuf version too!
Even so, there are plenty of other brands who also make chocolate sandwich cookies that are gluten-free.
While you might be thinking ‘why on earth would I want to try anything else?’, it is always great to look for other brands that may be easier to buy or are budget friendly.
Having said that, what better excuse is there to try a bunch of chocolate cookie sandwiches?
If you enjoyed this article, why not check out the rest of the website for gluten-free inspiration when it comes to snacks, recipes and lots more!
- Paleo On The Go Reviews - March 15, 2023
- 15 Amazing Paleo Brownie Recipes To Make At Home - March 15, 2023
- Meal Of The Day: 10 Best Wednesday Lunch Paleo Recipes - March 15, 2023