Fall is one of my favorite seasons. Last weekend we went pumpkin picking and it was a beautiful, blue sky day at the farm. After picking pumpkins with friends, we came home and went into a pumpkin-baking furry.
My dear friend Jackie (also baked the vegan pumpkin pie from last year here) loves to bake. I follow suit and watch. These are her contributions and baked goods – I was merely the sous chef.
Layered Pumpkin Cake With a Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
You Will Need:
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (or can be fresh pumpkin puree)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages cream cheese, softened (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Create the frosting first, then set aside while you bake the cake.
In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Store in the refrigerator until use.
- Preheat your oven 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two round round pie/cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven.
Let the cakes cool for about 20 minutes, before removing from the pans. Once you remove from the pans, let them cool another 20 minutes.
Once completely cool, take a serrated knife and trim off the rounded top to each cake. This allows the cake to lie evenly once stacked. Take out the frosting from the refrigerator and let sit before you begin frosting.
Place one round on a cake serving platter and place about 1/3 of the cream cheese frosting in the center of the cake, spread evenly across the top layer.
Place the second cake round on top and slowly add the cream cheese frosting to the top of the cake. Work slowly to evenly distribute the frosting all the sides and top of the cake.
Once the cake is completely covered in frosting, lightly sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon on top of the cake. We garnished with cinnamon sticks, or even wash and dry Fall leaves and leave them around the plate!