I’m online all day at work. Then when I’m blogging, after work or on weekends, I’m also online. It’s a lot of time spent on the internets.
Over time, I have encountered some really interesting articles all on food facts. I’m kind of a nerd about these kind of things so I started compiling my favorites (saving various articles or research) and now they’re here, to share with you.
Interesting Food Facts:
- A typical banana travels 4,000 miles before being eaten. Americans eat 12 billion bananas each year.
- According to a recent survey by Technomic Inc., 81 percent of men were likely to order beer during happy hour at a bar or restaurant, while women favoured a cocktail or a mixed drink. Germany is in the top three European countries in beer production, producing more than 95 million litres in 2010.
- Honey never goes bad. Ever.
- There are over 1000 different kids of apples. Apples also are better at waking you up in the morning than coffee.
- Cherries are a member of the rose family
- Saffron is the most expensive substance on earth largely because of its harvesting difficulty – 150 saffron flowers will only yield you 0.035 ounces of saffron.
- Actually a fruit, it took a ruling by the Supreme Court in 1893 to make the tomato a vegetable.
- Potatoes are only 20% solids and 80% water. I don’t get this one!
- The color orange was named after the fruit.
- All peaches, cherries, plums and apricots are stone fruits, also known as drupes.
- Croissants were created to commemorate the victory of the French armies over Turkey. The crescent shape of the pastry alludes to the crescent shape on the Turkish flag.
- Chocolate was originally just for drinking and was served bitter.
- Refried beans are only fried once. It’s a translation error – the originals are frijoles refritos which actually means “well fried beans” – not re-fried. Doh!
- Peanuts are an ingredient in dynamite.
- Around 70 million people suffer from food poisoning every year with around 7 million of these cases being fatal. Yikes!
- Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.
- McDonald’s in Germany, sells beer.
- The term “Banana Republic” was coined for states that were primarily run by large banana companies who generally would support some dictator whose primary purpose was to protect the banana companies and ensure large, cheap crops.