It’s understandable that the name ‘Watermelon pizza’ can make a lot of people uneasy, especially if they think that it actually includes decorating the pizza dough with a few toppings of juicy watermelon pieces.
The good news is that a watermelon pizza does not involve actually using watermelon as a topping but instead, is made entirely from the watermelon itself with a few added ingredients layered on top to make for a unique but delicious summer treat.
With this recipe being tasty, easy to make and incredibly healthy, you won’t want to miss out on whipping up a watermelon pizza to keep you feeling cool and refreshed when the temperatures are a little hotter than usual outside.
How Does Watermelon Pizza Taste?
Since the base of this recipe is the watermelon itself, each time you take a bite out of a watermelon pizza you will get that incredibly familiar melt-in-the-mouth sensation with a slightly crisp-tender texture along with the recognizable bitter, sweet and sour flavor that the popular fruit is so well known for.
However, because this recipe uses a mixture of different ingredients to pack it with as much flavor as possible, you won’t just be biting into a regular watermelon, after all, every pizza needs its toppings.
This watermelon pizza is covered with a light layer of honey to make it even sweeter along with some pineapple pieces and a few Thai basil leaves which help to add some saltiness, sourness and a little hint of spiciness to this juicy and refreshing recipe.
Additionally, toasted coconut flakes are also used as a topping to give the pizza a little extra crunch each time you take a bite, along with some lime to add even more sweetness.
Therefore, this isn’t your ordinary watermelon but instead, one that has a much crunchier texture while also being a lot sweeter and more vibrant in its taste than a regular watermelon would, making it the perfect summer snack.
Is A Watermelon Pizza Healthy?
Despite having ‘pizza’ in the name, watermelon pizza is far healthier than any sort of pizza that uses actual dough and meat for its toppings, instead, this pizza contains an incredible amount of nutrients including potassium, magnesium, and vitamins A and C.
Because you are primarily eating watermelon, this dish is also packed full of citrulline and lycopene which have been linked to lower blood pressure.
The only topping that is not entirely healthy is honey due to its sugar content, though even this has been linked to an improvement in heart health when consumed in small doses, making a watermelon pizza one of the most nutritious and delicious summer dishes you can make.
How To Make Watermelon Pizza
Because it only needs a handful of ingredients to make and does not require any cooking or baking, this delicious summer or spring treat can be made in just a few minutes.
Additionally, this recipe is also entirely gluten-free and vegetarian to make it even more appetizing.
- 1 Slice of Watermelon – The fresher the watermelon, the better it will taste when you come to mix it with the extra ingredients. Just always make sure that your slice is more on the thicker side so that you can get that nice and juicy texture each time you take a bite.
- 1 Cup of Pineapple Pieces – A few pineapple pieces will help to make the pizza taste as tropical as possible, alongside making the overall texture just a little more crunchy.
- 1 Tbsp of Honey – A light dash of honey not only helps to keep the watermelon creamy and soft in the mouth, but it also enhances the sweetness of the watermelons to make the entire dish taste even more refreshing.
- 1 Cup of Thai Basil Leaves – Sprinkling a few Thai basil leaves over the top of the watermelon pieces will help to add just a hint of spiciness to keep the flavor engaging and unique.
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut Flakes – Coconut flakes add a little bit of sugar to the mix along with keeping the watermelon tasting moist and sweet.
- ½ of a Lime – Mixing the lime with the honey takes the pizza’s sweetness level up just a little more while also making the overall taste a lot more vibrant and exciting for you and your guests to tuck into.
- 2 Tbsp of Black Cracked Pepper – As a finishing touch, black cracked pepper helps to add a tiny burst of spiciness and while this is an optional ingredient, we would definitely still recommend it.
Step 1: Prepare The Watermelon
Start by taking your sliced watermelon and cutting it into wedges the same as you would with a pizza.
Just like a pizza, you want to make sure that each slice is even so that you can be sure everyone around the dinner table will get their fair share of toppings to enjoy.
Step 2: Add The Toppings
Once you have your wedges ready, it’s time to start adding some of the toppings. Start by gently scattering the pineapple pieces so that you have an even amount for each wedge.
Next, cover the pieces with the Thai basil leaves and toasted coconut flakes to finish off the base of the toppings.
Step 3: Mix The Juice And Honey
Proceed by taking the lime juice and honey and mixing them together for just a few seconds until the mixture comes out nice and creamy. Delicately sprinkle this over the toppings to make them taste even sweeter for when it’s time to tuck in.
Step 4: Finish Off With Cracked Black Peppers
As the final ingredient, sprinkle some fresh cracked black pepper over the toppings and there you have it, a refreshing, tasty, and nutritious watermelon pizza for you and your friends to enjoy as a delicious summer appetizer.
Next time you’re struggling to think of a juicy and delicious snack to prepare when the temperatures begin to spike outside, consider making a watermelon pizza that can not only be made in just a few minutes with a handful of ingredients, but that is also incredibly healthy as an added bonus.
- How To Make A Paleo Detox Smoothie: Berry Cherry Green Edition - April 18, 2023
- How To Make Spicy Paleo Paprika And Thyme Veggie Fries - April 18, 2023
- 15 Mouthwatering Keto Apple Recipes You Need To Try Today - April 18, 2023