When we think of dessert items, many people believe that they’re out of the question when following a ketogenic diet.
But, this simply isn’t the case. In fact, you can enjoy almost all of the desserts that you previously did on a low carb or keto diet, just by altering a few key ingredients.
This includes chia pudding, which is a favorite dessert or breakfast item for many. Below, we’ve compiled a guide for making the perfect chia pudding, including a few recipes, and additionally, some tips and tricks.
To find out more about making keto chia pudding, simply keep reading below, as we take a closer look.
The Nutritional Content Of Chia Seeds
So let’s just jump straight in and take a closer look at the nutritional content of chia seeds, and answer your burning questions. Are they suitable for a low carb, or keto diet?
Many of you might be dubious about whether or not you can enjoy chia seeds on a keto diet, especially considering that many seeds seem to be out of the question.
Despite this however, chia lovers will be pleased to find that you can indeed incorporate chia seeds into your diet. For example 1 oz of chia seeds will be made up of around 12 grams of carbohydrates.
Although this isn’t incredibly low, it’s definitely possible to incorporate chia seeds into your low carb diet.
By making sure that you don’t exceed the limit of 50 grams of carbohydrates per day, most people will be able to stay in a ketogenic state.
How To Make Keto Chia Pudding
Now that we’ve determined that chia seeds can be enjoyed as a part of a ketogenic lifestyle, we can move on to take a look at some recipes. Below, we’ll show you how to make the best chia pudding you’ve ever had, keto or no keto!
Keto Chia Pudding Recipe
In order to make keto chia pudding, you’ll only require a few ingredients. The first of which (you guessed it) are chia seeds.
You will also need milk, obviously if you’re low carb or keto we wouldn’t recommend cow’s milk, as this will be filled with lactose that could kick you out of ketosis.
Some great plant based alternatives include soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk.
After this, you’ll also require a ketogenic sweeter, this could be anything that has zero carb content. Some popular choices include stevia, or erythritol, both of which are keto friendly.
Finally, gather together any toppings that you might want to include too.
In order to make your keto chia pudding:
- Place two tablespoons of chia seeds in one cup of milk.
- Make sure that the seeds are fully submerged in the milk so that they can adequately soak. You don’t need to use milk if you don’t want to, water will do just fine too.
- Stir in your sweetener. If you’re using liquid stevia, simply add a few drops, this will be enough to taste. If you’re using granulated sweetener, a teaspoon or two will do depending on your preference.
- Add any toppings that you like.
- Allow the chia seeds to soak overnight, then enjoy a delicious breakfast the next morning.
Chocolate Keto Chia Pudding Recipe
Now that we’ve taken a look at a basic recipe for making overnight chia pudding, let’s look at a chocolatey variety.
For those of you out there who adore everything cocoa flavored, we’ve got the perfect chia seed recipe for you.
Simply keep reading to find out more.
For your chocolate chia pudding, you will require chia seeds, as well as an alternative milk. As well as this, you will also need some vanilla extract, as well as some zero sugar peanut butter.
Finally, you’ll also require your sweetener, and cocoa powder.
When you’re choosing your cocoa powder, make sure that it’s unsweetened. We don’t want any extra carbs creeping their way into your diet.
You’ll find the instructions for this recipe below.
- Grab a large bowl and a whisk that you can use to combine your ingredients.
- Whisk together the milk, plant based milk, peanut butter, cocoa powder, sweeter and vanilla.
- Make sure that they’re all thoroughly mixed.
- Set the mixture aside.
- In the meantime, grab your chia seeds and put them in a different bowl or container.
- You can then go ahead and pour around half of the wet mixture over the chia seeds. After you’ve done this, stir thoroughly.
- Continue adding in the mixture and stir simultaneously. The mixture will adopt a frothy texture, this is what we’re looking for.
- After you’ve made your chia pudding, you can go ahead and top it off with some additional ingredients if you want to, such as more peanut butter or cocoa powder.
- Finally, leave the chia seeds in the refrigerator until the morning, where they’ll be nicely soaked.
How To Make Chia Pudding Less Thick
Something that many people complain about when it comes to chia pudding, is that they don’t like the texture.
When left in the refrigerator overnight, the chia seeds can adopt a slightly slimy texture that you either love or hate.
If you hate the texture, why not simply buy some chia seeds that have already been blended. If your grocery store doesn’t sell these, you can blend them up yourself.
You can then go ahead and prepare your chia pudding as you would normally.
The seeds work really well as a thickening agent, and are good for filling you up when you’re feeling hungry.
Why Isn’t My Chia Pudding Thick?
Chia pudding is renowned for its incredibly thick, and filling texture. But, what if your pudding hasn’t adopted this consistency, and is watery and liquidy instead?
If this sounds like your pudding, there are a few things that you can do to ensure that you get the proper consistency.
One of the key things to look out for, despite the fact that it may seem obvious, is to check that your chia seeds are in date.
Chia seeds that are out of date will not adopt the same, thick consistency as ones that are fresh.
Another issue might be that you didn’t leave them to soak in the fridge for long enough. Although it’s a super delicious dessert that you want to consume right away, exercising patience is important with this one.
This means making sure that you prepare them the evening before, and leave them overnight so that they have time to release their thickening agent.
Finally, another common mistake is not mixing the chia seeds enough with the milk. You’ll want to make sure that they’re completely submerged in the liquid, and combined with the rest of the ingredients.
Sometimes, the seeds might float to the top, so check on them before you place them in the refrigerator.
How To Store Keto Chia Pudding
I’m sure that many of you reading this article will be wondering how long you can keep chia pudding in the refrigerator. After all, it’s one of those recipes that’s great to make in larger batches.
Many of you will be pleased to find that you can store keto chia pudding in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
You’ll need to make sure, however, that the container is completely sealed and airtight. If it isn’t this could result in your pudding being spoiled.
In addition, for those of you who are wondering if you can freeze chia pudding, the answer is yes. You can absolutely freeze chia pudding to consume at a later date.
Nutritional Benefits Of Chia Seeds
Now that we’ve answered some commonly asked questions, let’s take a look at some of the immense nutritional benefits of chia seeds.
- Fiber – Almost all of the carbohydrates contained in chia seeds are fibrous, making sure that they assist your digestive system effectively.
- Good Fat – Chia seeds are also renowned for being full of healthy fats, specifically Omega 3 fatty acids. These are highly beneficial for reducing inflammation.
- Protein – Another great thing about chia seeds is that they contain a decent amount of protein. This makes them a great snack for consuming before hitting the gym, as they’ll help to provide you with all the energy you need.
To sum up, you can absolutely still enjoy chia pudding when following a ketogenic diet. By replacing the regular cow’s milk with a plant based alternative, and using a sweetener rather than sugar, you can make your favorite breakfast.
Make sure that you stir the chia seeds thoroughly for the best results, as well as leaving them to soak overnight.
- How To Make A Paleo Detox Smoothie: Berry Cherry Green Edition - April 18, 2023
- How To Make Spicy Paleo Paprika And Thyme Veggie Fries - April 18, 2023
- 15 Mouthwatering Keto Apple Recipes You Need To Try Today - April 18, 2023