This simple, healthy recipe gives you wonderfully crispy tofu pieces dressed in a sumptuous creamy coconut sauce, bursting with spicy Thai green curry flavor!
I don’t know about you, but I just love a Thai-green curry! It’s such a nice variation to other hot dishes, which more often than not are predominantly Mexican or Indian.
What gives a Thai green curry its distinctive flavor is the Thai green curry paste.
If you wish, you can make this curry paste from scratch, but Thai green curry paste is widely available, which saves the hassle of making your own.
If you’re curious what’s included in the paste to give it that unique combination of spices and bright green color, it’s made from the likes of Thai basil, lemongrass, ginger, chilies, and garlic.
This amazing, healthy Thai green tofu curry recipe is inspired by traditional Thai cuisine, but features some key healthy, vegetarian variations.
How To Make Thai Green Curry Vegetarian
If you thought that making Thai green curry vegetarian is just as simple as swapping the chicken or fish out for some tofu, you’d be wrong. Close, but wrong.
Traditional Thai green curry features fish sauce, which is not vegetarian. However, you can substitute the fish sauce for some plant-based soy sauce.
I would recommend using light soy sauce in this recipe rather than a darker one, to better achieve a bright green color.
And if you don’t have any tofu in your cupboard, you could substitute some chickpeas, tempeh, or simply mixed vegetables.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s a list of everything you’re going to need for your amazing, healthy Thai green tofu curry:
- 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 1 blocks worth of tofu cubes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 chopped zucchini
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ chopped red bell pepper
- 14 oz can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Fresh squeeze of lime juice
How To Make This Amazing, Healthy Thai Green Tofu Curry
- Heat half the avocado oil in a pan and cook the tofu for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side until crisp and brown
- Transfer the cooked tofu (see also “The Very Best Korean Tofu Soup“) to a bowl, and add the remaining avocado oil to the pan
- Cook the minced garlic and onion in the pan for 2 minutes before adding the chopped red pepper and zucchini, and cooking for a further 3 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and mix well. Throw in the tofu and mix again.
- Taste-test the curry, and season to taste if necessary.
- When satisfied, remove the pan from the heat and serve up straight away while still hot.
Handy Hints, Tips, And Tricks Of The Trade
You should always taste-test your Thai green curry sauce as you make it, since different Thai green curry paste brands can vary quite considerably in their level of spice.
So, I recommend just adding a little of the curry paste at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Makes This Recipe So Healthy?
This recipe features plenty of healthy veggies, which are packed with fiber and nutrients. What’s more, the tofu pieces are loaded with healthy protein, and will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
If you want to reduce your intake of saturated fats, you can substitute light coconut milk in place of a full-fat version.
Is Thai Green Curry Vegan?
Unfortunately, the truth is, not all Thai green curry pastes are vegan.
So if you want to make a vegan Thai green curry, you should either check the label on your store-bought Thai green curry to ensure that it’s vegan, or alternatively, make your own homemade Thai green curry paste from scratch.
So, there you have it. Making a healthy Thai green tofu curry is easy, and tastes amazing, as you can now find out for yourself!
- How To Make A Paleo Detox Smoothie: Berry Cherry Green Edition - April 18, 2023
- How To Make Spicy Paleo Paprika And Thyme Veggie Fries - April 18, 2023
- 15 Mouthwatering Keto Apple Recipes You Need To Try Today - April 18, 2023