If there is one dessert that you need to eat over the summer it is a crisp. It is not as hard to make as a pie. In fact, it is one of the easiest desserts to make and best of all it is almost guaranteed to please everyone that tries it.
Crisps are made with a fruit base that is then topped with an oat crumble topping. This healthy crisp is super easy to make and once it is baked you will never go back to another recipe.
The combination of strawberry and rhubarb is complete and utter perfection. Even if you are making a healthy version of this tasty dessert, you will not be sacrificing any flavor.
It is the kind of recipe that is super easy to make in a short space of time. So even if you are not the best cook you will be able to make this amazing dessert without any issues at all.
With all of that said, let us dive right in and check out why this recipe is so good.
What Makes this Recipe Special?
There are hundreds of strawberry rhubarb recipes on the internet. Why is this one so special? There is a lot to love about this recipe so let us tell you why it is one that you should check out.
- Few Ingredients – This recipe only requires a few ingredients. It really is so easy even an amateur can make it with ease.
- Flavor – The rich and fruity flavor that this dessert offers is absolutely phenomenal. It is certainly something that you will not be able to get enough of.
- Adaptable – This recipe can be adapted super easily so you can make it with almost any fruit including frozen berries and other fruit if that is what you prefer.
This recipe is really very easy to follow so even if you are not the best baker, you can enjoy this tasty dessert without any trouble at all.
What are You Going to Need for this Dessert?
It does not matter how good a recipe is or how much you want to make it if you do not know what ingredients you need. In this section we are going to take a closer look at what ingredients are in this recipe.
We have listed them below for you to peruse at your leisure:
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Maple Syrup
- Rolled Oats
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Sugar
If you want to know more about what exactly you need and how much then make sure to check out this link so that you can fully understand how much of each of these ingredients you need to make this tasty sweet treat.
Making a Delicious and Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp?
Now that you know a bit more about this recipe, like what you will need and why it is a dessert that you have to try.
Let us finally dive right in and look at how you make this delicious fruity strawberry rhubarb crisp for yourself. It really is much easier than you might think. So, without further ado, let us dive right in and get started!
- Step 1 – The first thing you are going to need to do is cut all of your strawberries and rhubarb into small pieces. Once you have done that then you need to add your coconut sugar, orange juice and cornstarch to the bowl. With all your ingredients in one bowl all that is left is to toss them together thoroughly. Make sure that everything has mixed well before you move onto the next step.
- Step 2 – Next, add all your crisp topping ingredients together and put them in a food processor or a large bowl. If your ingredients are in a bowl then you will need to use your hands to make a nice crumble. With your ingredients in a food processor all you need to do is make sure that they are mixed properly so that you end up with a good crumble. Once you have a good crumble, you can move onto step three.
- Step 3 – Your berry mixture now needs to be poured into your baking dish. Once it has all been poured into a dish you must then spread the berries into your baking dish. This is important as if they are not even you may end up with a wonky crisp.
- Step 4 – Once you have gotten your fruit nice and even you can then put your topping on the fruit. You need to make sure that your crumble topping is placed on the fruit fairly evenly. If not you may end up with a bit of crisp that looks and tastes a bit neglected.
- Step 5 – Once you have your crisp assembled you can then put it in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. It should bake for between forty-five and fifty minutes. Once your crisp is cooked it must then cool for at least fifteen minutes. Finally, it can be served along with some ice cream, custard, cream or wherever else you think might be tasty.
If you would like to check out this recipe in a bit more detail, make sure to check out this link. They have a bit more to add when it comes to the instructions.
Tricks and Variations for Making Delicious Rhubarb Crisp
It is all well and good having a set of simple instructions to make your strawberry rhubarb crisp. But there are some tricks that you can use to ensure that your dessert turns out perfectly each and every time.
- Freshness – If you want to get the best results for your strawberry rhubarb crisp then you really need to make sure that you use fresh produce. It tastes so much better!
- Orange Juice & Corn Starch – Before you add your cornstarch and orange juice to the fruit we recommend that you mix them together thoroughly so that there are no lumps and so that the cornstarch has a bit of time to dissolve before it is added to the fruit.
- If You Want it Paleo – If you are a part of the paleo community then you can substitute coats with pecans or walnuts instead.
- Any Fruit – If you do not have strawberries on hand you can just just about any fruit you have. Apples, peaches, cherries, or any type of berry you can think of.
As long as you keep these tips in mind when you are baking you are almost guaranteed to succeed with making a perfectly delicious strawberry rhubarb crisp.
Other Delicious Summer Recipes to Try
Are you looking for a different summery dessert to make for yourself? If you are then this section is going to be perfect for you.
We have found a few fantastic recipes that you might like if you are not sold on the idea of a strawberry rhubarb crisp.
So, without further ado let us check out what other recipes are available for you.
This recipe should take about one hour and fifteen minutes to make. The recipe itself should yield approximately eight to ten servings. But the quantity can be altered as you see fit as you have more or less guests.
This recipe should take about forty minutes to make. The recipe itself should yield approximately six servings. But the quantity can be altered as you see fit as you have more or less guests.
This recipe should take about fifty minutes to make. The recipe itself should yield approximately six to eight servings. But the quantity can be altered as you see fit as you have more or less guests.
This recipe should take about fifty-five minutes to make. The recipe itself should yield approximately six to eight servings. But the quantity can be altered as you see fit as you have more or less guests.
This recipe should take about twenty minutes to make. The recipe itself should yield approximately four servings. But the quantity can be altered as you see fit as you have more or less guests.
This recipe should take about one hour and fifteen minutes to make. The recipe itself should yield approximately nine servings. But the quantity can be altered as you see fit as you have more or less guests.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section we are going to answer some of your most frequently asked questions. So, without further ado, let us dive right in and get started!
Why is Your Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Runny?
Most fruity crisps will be a bit runny. They are full of delicious juicy fruit after all. However, it should solidify a little more once it has cooled down a bit.
If you are sure that you have used the correct amount of corn starch it should create a tasty fruity gel once the crisp has cooled a bit.
Are You Supposed to Peel Rhubarb?
Rhubarb does not typically need to be peeled as long as it has been harvested and used in peak-season.
If your rhubarb has been harvested by midsummer then the stalk may be a little tougher and more fibrous. This may mean that peeling the rhubarb will be better as doing so can unblock flavor.
Does Rhubarb Help with Weight Loss?
Some research has indicated that rhubarb does contain catechins. This compound is found in many healthy foods and drinks like green tea.
This compound in particular is very beneficial for the body as it is known to boost the metabolism. When this happens it can help your body to burn fat and by extension help you to lose weight.
On top of that rhubarb is also a great source of fiber which is a very helpful nutrient for the body. It is another great compound that is helpful in weight loss.
Can Strawberries Be Used in a Crisp?
Yes they can! Otherwise, we wouldn’t have written a whole article about strawberry and rhubarb crisps.
They add a wonderfully rich, sweet and fruity flavor to the dessert. It is really quite delicious and best enjoyed with a nice serving of vanilla ice cream.
Can You Make a Fruit Crisp Ahead of Time?
Not entirely. But you can mix the fruit the night before and then store it in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, or whenever you are ready to bake your crisp you can simply add the topping and bake. Alternatively you can also bake your crisp and reheat it later on for between fifteen and twenty minutes.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this article and learning about how to make a delicious and healthy rhubarb crisp.
They are truly an amazing dessert and one that you definitely need to try if you have not already. The rhubarb crisp is tantalizingly sweet, rich in flavor and the crust is delightful. You really need to make your own tasty dessert.
With all of that being said, we hope that you have a wonderful day. Good luck with baking your tasty dessert. You are almost guaranteed to succeed! Goodbye for now!